Friday, February 24, 2017

Coffee/Tea Press Cozy

If you make coffee or tea in a press, like the Bodum, you’ll probably experience this problem: how to keep it warm long enough. I’ve been wrapping mine up tightly with a tea towel, like my sister showed me. It just never stayed warm enough, and it was a bit fiddly getting the tea towel on.

There’s loads of ideas on Etsy, but I wanted something from felted wool. A trip to my local Value Village scored me a large, slightly moth eaten, woollen men’s sweater in neutral coffee tones. Unfortunately I don’t have a pic of it.

Several runs through a hot wash and dry produced a fairly decent felt, and the fun began. The first problem was how to handle holes in the fabric, but after a couple of weeks just letting it stew, I got the idea to make little patches and sew them on. The result was about half a dozen uniquely different cozies, and I even made some small ones for my single serve Bodum too.

PIC_20161107_123330

It turned out that the back of the felted knit fabric, the garter stitch, was the most interesting.

PIC_20161107_122537 PIC_20161107_123501

They all close simply with a piece of velcro.

PIC_20161107_123709 PIC_20161107_123721PIC_20161107_123816 PIC_20161107_123827

The edges are finished with a simple zigzag stitch, and some got a piece of the hem band. The patches are sewn on with a straight stitch, and initially I just added them to cover the holes but then added more to balance out the overall effect. That was the fun part!

I think next time I’ll try one with an added inner layer of wool, and maybe it would keep the coffee warm longer. At least with the knitted fabric it should be able to handle the curvature around the pot; the tough synthetic felt just didn’t work.

How do you keep your coffee/tea warm?

Friday, October 21, 2016

Burda Style 01-2012-144 – Kid’s Jumpsuit Costume

Just look at that face! Yeah, this is one happy boy, and he’s had to wait soooo long for this almost UFO to be finished.

PIC_20161002_182140

This costume jumpsuit is a modified Burda Style pattern, it’s actually a spacesuit pattern from way back to January 2012. But Henry wanted an army costume with large pockets on the legs and up on top, similar to a RTW police costume that he’s had for years but is now just too small to get into.

All the main pieces were cut out and ready to go, but I didn’t have anything for the pockets. And so it lingered on my sewing work table, since before last Christmas. Not good! Eventually a search through my stash of Burda magazines yielded the right stuff.

 

 

BS_01-2012-144_technical_large

The large billows pockets and flaps on the legs are from a boy’s shorts pattern, Burda Style 04-2010-131. They have a separate piece (long strip) sewn around the sides and bottom to add volume, and were actually really easy to assemble. I’ll keep this pocket pattern for future makes. I know, it’s really hard to see it on these pics. So much camo.

PIC_20161002_182158  PIC_20161002_182209

All the pocket flaps are held down with Velcro instead of the buttons that the shorts pattern used. Speed. This had to be done.

PIC_20161002_182221The pockets on the top were not so easy. The flaps are the same design as for the leg pockets, but I didn’t use a pattern for the pocket itself, just copied the pocket from his existing RTW police costume. This does not have the long side strip, I just made it a box by sewing the corners. They’re not as neat, and it turned out to be harder to sew to the suit.

All in all this jumpsuit was a pretty good pattern to use as the base. I can see this one being used for other types of costumes.

So after a long weekend last month sewing it all together, I’ve made one boy really happy! And another project off my table. Win for everyone.