Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Hummingbird Skirt

Way back in the spring I participated in the Hummingbird sewalong, and did manage to complete the skirt. I love it, it's stretch denim. I have worn it so many times over the summer despite the waist being a bit large, it's really become a staple. I see more of these in different fabrics for sure. Seriously! (I even wore it the other day with my favourite sweater and tights, it was only 4°C)

2013-10-28 16.37.53

2013-06-29 001  2013-06-29 002

2013-06-28 0012013-06-28 0022013-06-28 003

That invisible zip was the best I’ve ever done. Practice sure does make perfect. But the skirt was a tad too short, so I added a band/binding to the hem with the same fabric as the pocket lining. I also did the top but I had some fit issues. I’ll have to check out some of the other tops from sewistas with similar figures.

In the end I had to leave it to work on other paid work (a slip cover for an armchair that I'll show later), which I only just finished yesterday. Thank God. This was the biggest “escapade” in sewing I’ve ever done! The hours spent on this were HUGE. (Yes, I DID do pattern matching, especially on the skirt pieces. Ugh.)

2013-10-30 10.09.26

In non-sewing news, I'm half way through my second course (of 4) in Web Analytics. Now that Henry is in school all day I can start to catch up, albeit this is a new track for me (not software development). Next year, hopefully this winter, I'll find a job before my husband's contract ends. Oh did I forget to mention that? He had been out of work for 14 months, and started a contract in August filling in for a woman on maternity leave. I'm hoping she does what I did, and decide she'd rather stay home for another year (although in my case it was another 5+ years!)

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post more updates in a couple of weeks in between my courses, because I have actually been busy in the sewing room! I have to show you my shift dresses, self-drafted from my dress-form. I just don’t have any photos of them right now!

4 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job on those slip covers - just making them is a mammoth effort let alone pattern matching as well! Nice skirt, looks great with your stripey jumper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy, I knew it was going to be a lot of work, but at times the reality of the project was daunting! It's amazing how well this jumper looks with almost everything!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful job on the slip covers, and your skirt is super cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I'm quite happy with how the covers turned out. My friend just picked them up this morning, she loves it! (And now I've got my living room back to normal!)

      Delete