Just a note to post some finished objects, one sewing related, and one not!
The resized knit top from Sears came out all right. It’s wearable, but I’ll see if I can tweak the front knot a bit more as it still bulges a bit. Here are the Before and After shots:
The fabric was a *b^gger* to sew; it’s one of those really thin, slippery knits that will NOT stay put! Can you imagine, 4 hours to fix this? Nuts!! So here’s what I did:
- Cut off the sleeves at the armhole seam
- Sew the new shoulder seams about 1 inch down, to lift up the Plunging V-neck
- Open up the side seams a couple of inches down from the armhole seam, and the same on the sleeve
- Sew the sleeves back in, sort of on the flat
- Resew the side seam and back down the sleeve (I didn’t take the seams in, just resewed it)
- Added clear elastic to the bottom of the side seams for a ruched effect
- Fiddled with the front knot (there’s a CF seam there!) to reduce the weird bulging
And now that I have a fairly nice top, there is nowhere to wear it. ~sigh~ Yet! It’s too damn cold in the house to put this on without a fleece or cardi! As I said in a previous post, this type of sewing would not have even occurred to me had it not been for following Beth’s fabulous refashioning blog, The Renegade Seamstress.
On a last note, here’s a picture of our Finally finished kitchen, with it’s new backsplash. We did it a couple of weeks ago, and it only took a few days. The longest day was actually putting the tiles (in sections) on the wall, and cutting and filling in the edges. Then a couple of days to rest (the tiles, that is) and half a day to grout.
Oh, and those are 4 new lights too. I think we put them up back in September, and what a difference they make over the old ones. No problem seeing the
dirt mess with those on!
The two t-shirts I wanted to compare during my Home Alone did get sewn up, but are still awaiting some fitting adjustments. But I’ve decided to put them on hold (yah, more UFOs!!), since winter isn’t the best time for this type of garment, and I am in DIRE NEED of actual “Cake” clothing. I have an idea…!