Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Burda Jacket 02-2011-109 – UFO!

Last year, I began participating in Sherry’s RTW Tailoring Sewalong, making this fitted jacket in denim as a first go. The line drawing (I didn’t add the ribbon edging on my version):

line drawing of 02-2011-109

Just to recap, here is jacket muslin #1:

2011-04-14 001  2011-04-14 003

It was way too tight! For a jacket, that is. So, muslin #2 (poor back shot, but best I could manage):

2011-05-06 00.48.45  2011-05-06 00.50.45  2011-05-06 00.51.01

This felt better, I could live with this. So, fabric cut and got as far as inserting the lining, and doing sleeve vent buttonholes.

2011-05-19 15.20.17  2011-05-19 15.21.17

2011-05-19 14.33.19

I stopped when I couldn’t decide how to finish the hem! Bagged hem? This would be great, simple, if the hem didn’t have the back slits…I think. Or, can I bag a hem with back slits? I can’t get my head around it, so it just occurred to me (only 7 months later!) that I should just suck it up and hand sew the hem! Any ideas? I’d LOVE to hear some other ideas!

Anyway, the plan was to make a black version in a light weight suiting fabric from my stash, fibres unknown, and a matching skirt - the first pieces in my core wardrobe, à la Fashion for Dummies. But now I’m not sure I want to tackle this pattern again. Once might be just enough!

I’m determined to finish this damn jacket for spring though…only a year late!


  1. I also used this pattern for Sherri's RTW sew along. In boucle! I struggled, but it's nice to have it now.
    I ended up having to hand sew the hem of the lining down.

    1. I saw your jacket last year, it's beautiful. The boucle fabric just gives it a really polished look. I remembered that you were having issues with the construction too, there sure are a lot of pieces!
      I think I'll be hand sewing the hem too, it shouldn't take too much time!