Saturday, May 8, 2010

Kwik Sew 3234

I've wanted to make pajamas for DS#1 and ran across this pattern, Kwik Sew 3234. He's very particular about the fabric, and so I made the first pair in a very soft double knit I found in the remnant bin at Fabricland (as if he cares!) It's very stretchy, even though there's no spandex.

I made this back in November '09, and it's been washed many times, hence the pilling (it was cheap). I added the orange strip along the back of the neck so he could at least put it on the right way. I've seen this in many of the RTW tops, and it's really easy to add. It also looks much neater than the serged seam! I took Dawn's idea (from "Two On Two Off") about sewing labels into the kids clothes so they know which is the front/back (mine are plain white, I call them my no-name labels). So far it works.
I then made a top for day-wear from the same pattern, also Dawn's idea (thanks Dawn, you have great ideas!)

This top is made from a much stiffer jersey, and heavier than the PJs. It's also a Fabricland remnant! I used a light, bright green jersey for the back of the neck band and as another layer behind the hem. I copied this detail from some other RTW tops that the kids have, but it doesn't show up very well under the hem.

Jalie 2796 Skort

I haven't been keeping up with the blog, but I have managed to do some sewing since last summer, though it's been in dribs and drabs. This Jalie skort caught my eye last year, and I finally made it last month, in time for some unusually warm weather. I made the regular waist height, and it easily covers my belly-button.
I actually did make a muslin for the compression shorts, and found that I needed to make the swayback adjustment; it fitted really nicely after that.

The skirt top layer is a Wazoodle ProCool Wicking Pique, and the compression shorts are a technical wicking fabric that I found at C&M Textiles in Ottawa. You can see the wicking side of the fabric in the interior shot below, it's really soft.

The only thing I did differently from the pattern instructions was to top-stitch the side seams in order to keep them flat (above left), and I cover-stitched the waistband seam too for the same reason.
This skort went together really fast, and I'll definitely make another one with some more fun fabric for the skirt layer.