Friday, October 29, 2010

Burda 04-2009-110 Top

Last spring I found a beautiful RTW dress. I loved it! But it was retailing for about $225, and I’m not in any position to justify that at this point in time!

Great summer dress I tried on in 240 Sparks. Found similar pattern in Burda Magazine 04-2009, #110

I’d seen a pattern on the Burda magazine website, the photo is gorgeous and really struck me. When I couldn’t find it anywhere in town I became desperate! I tried the Burda site, on their forum, and on PR asking if anyone would sell their issue. Two sewists on PR offered to trace it for me, which I think is incredibly nice of them, and soon received the pattern in the mail. This is it, similar to the RTW, and also very nice.

Burda 04/2009 #110, view B (top)Burda 04/2009 #110, view B (top)

This top is really a muslin, but it worked out OK in the end. With the shaping detail on the front it would probably look much better in a solid colour. But the fabric was just right, it has a nice drape and is quite light.

I had to do some major alterations for petite sizing, and a small high bust. Some of the other reviewers on PR also found that this top has a rather low “plunging” neckline. I shifted the neckline opening up by 1” along with the under-bust seam, and so had to insert 1” to the top of the lower part.

BWOF 04/2009 #110, view B (top) details of garment/pattern piecesBWOF 04/2009 #110, view B (top) details of garment/pattern pieces

With the fabric being so stretchy, I had to increase the back darts and took in another 1” on each, going up into the upper back. The front neckline was still a tiny bit too low, so I fiddled with the facings a bit.

BWOF 04/2009 #110, view B (top) details of garment/pattern piecesBWOF 04/2009 #110, view B (top) details of garment/pattern pieces

I’ll make another one in the future, and maybe even a dress. But a solid colour would really look smashing!

No comments:

Post a Comment